James Brewer, CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™, is a Chicago financial advisor that brings a multifaceted and passionate approach to help you pursue your unique vision. It has been called part wealth planner, part life coach, part architect, part cheerleader. He focuses on crafting plans that incorporate and honor each client’s unique values.
He has a passion to address the gender and racial retirement disparity. That drove him to found Envision 401(k) Advisors to help address this issue along with helping his business owner clients. Not happy with just a me too solution, Brewer’s retirement plan insights have been featured in The Wall Street Journal and Forbes (references cited below In the Media).
When he was looking for a financial advisor he found it difficult to find one that knew much or cared to know about socially responsible, ESG investing, sustainability investing. He strongly believes that the road to your financial life vision should align with your values, such as faith, pro-gender equality and sustainability. Further, he shows his clients that values do not have to be at the expense of returns.
As an African American financial advisor, he brings unique sensitivities in working with clients from diverse money language backgrounds. As a fan of Brené Brown, he understands the feelings of shame and vulnerability that often come with money.
James Brewer is an advocate for financial literacy. His community involvement includes pro bono volunteer activities through the Chicago Chapter of the Financial Planning Association and Daystar School in Chicago where he educates children about money. As an Adjunct Professor for the College for Financial Planning he helps financial professionals earn financial planning designations. He is currently writing a chapter for Investing Behavior, Nudges in the Financial Planning and Investment Process published by Oxford University Press.
As an advocate of racial diversity in the financial planning profession, James Brewer helped plan the inaugural conference of the Association of African American Financial Advisors in 2015. He now serves as Vice President of the Association of African American Financial Advisors.
- General Motors Institute, Bachelor of Science, Industrial Administration, Marketing, Finance (1985)
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Master of Business Administration (2000)
LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS
- Registered Representative (FINRA Series 7)
- Investment Advisor Representative with LPL Financial (FINRA Series 66)
- Licensed in Life, Health, Long-Term Care and Disability Insurance
- The Accredited Investment Fiduciary® (AIF®) designation represents a thorough knowledge of and ability to apply the fiduciary practices.
- CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ A standard certification for advisors, designees are exposed to nearly 100 topics on integrated financial planning. Major topics include, but not limited to: insurance, employee benefits, securities, state and federal tax, estate tax and planning, asset protection, etc.
- CHARTERED RETIREMENT PLANNING COUNSELOR® This program focuses on the pre- and post-retirement needs of individuals, allowing you to transform the retirement planning process into a positive experience
- Certified Divorce Financial Analyst (CDFA™) helps clients determine the short-term and long-term financial impact of any proposed divorce settlement. We provide valuable analysis on financial issues such as taxes, dividing property and retirement plans, child support, spousal support, and net income pre- post-divorce.
IN THE MEDIA
U. S. News, “How to Whip Your 401(k) Into Shape”, October 14, 2014
U. S. News, “What Matters More: Saving or Investment Performance?”, April 27, 2015
Forbes, “Is Hobby Lobby Hypocritical or Just Complying with U.S. Pension Law?”, July 7, 2014
Wall Street Journal, “Voices: James Brewer, on Using ERISA 3(38) Investment Managers”, October 16, 2013
First Quad-A (Association of African American Financial Advisors) Conference Bridges Gap for African-American Advisors, Think Advisor, November 12, 2015
Top 100 Social Media Financial Advisor 2013 and 2014 U.S.
Speaker, Illinois CPA Society North Shore Chapter – “Retirement Plans and Employee Benefits for the Small Business”, April 2009.
“Making Money and a Difference,” Ameriprise Achiever Magazine, Summer 2008
“A Conversation with Tomorrow,” Business Week, December 6, 1999