You may have received the news that the The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) application period is open. FAFSA is used to apply for federal, state and college-based financial aid. Many parents applying for financial aid find the process:
There is much more to applying for scholarships and grants than completing a single form. Each college and university has their own financial aid policies and requirements. This can range from the way eligibility is calculated to the number of forms required. Some schools require as many as six forms! Multiply that by the number of schools you’ll be applying to and you get a sense for the paperwork quagmire!
Don’t pay more for college because of FAFSA paperwork gotchas
Introducing FAFSAssist through our college cost savings partner, Collegiate Funding Solutions. This financial aid service acts as a personal financial aid coach/administrator! Many parents quickly discover that the process is intimidating, confusing and complicated.
- Completion of the FAFSA: This form like no other is a great cause of distress for parents. Mistakes can be costly and in some cases cannot be fixed. FAFSAssist will accurately complete and file it before deadlines. This can save the family over 10 hours of work. Additional colleges will be added as applicable.
- Review of the family’s personal and financial information: Prevent the misreporting of critical information avoiding costly mistakes.
- CSS/Profile Form (if required): The purpose of the CSS/Profile is to disqualify your student for aid. This is because of the hundreds of questions that look to your past, present and future financial circumstances. The Profile is up to and over 30 pages long. Questions about your retirement assets, home equity, the types and number of cars you drive, and much, much more are common. Positioning your student in the most favorable light and matching it with the FAFSA is critical to receiving institutional funds. Just like the FAFSA, we will file the form for you
- Verification/Institutional Forms completed: Depending on a number of factors additional forms may need to be completed. Parents are provided a completed master verification form to be used to copy to additional forms, both online and paper.
- Federal Student Aid IDs: Required to qualify for the many federal financial programs. Applying is now more complicated due to security breaches at the IRS. FAFSAssist will save the parents a great deal of time and trouble obtaining them on their behalf.
- Financial Aid Award Evaluation: We will determine if the student was awarded fairly by the college.
- Appeal Service (if applicable): If the student was under-awarded, parents will receive guidance how they might appeal the college for a more lucrative award. Should the family’s financial circumstances change since the filing of the previous years tax return, with the cooperation of the responsible parent, a letter of appeal can be written.
- Business/Farm Supplement: A few colleges will ask this form and we will instruct your CPA/accountant/EA in what is needed to fulfill this requirement.
Get help on financial aid’s FAFSA paperwork
- FAFSAssist helps you successfully navigate the gauntlet of financial aid roadblocks.
- FAFSAssist saves you time, frustration and headaches. Parents will be guided through the maze of requirements and, upon approval, have the major forms completed and filed for them.
- FAFSAssist will also determine the fairness of the student’s scholarships and grants with suggestions to increase offers if necessary.
Reach out to see if this service is your answer to a time consuming and frustrating financial aid process.